Things To Consider While Buying A Wireless Network For A Small Business
The Internet has become a must requirement in everybody’s life because it can connect people from different parts of the world, provide better communication and gives the best chance for the small business to grow. Nowadays, wireless routers are playing an important role in making the work of businesses easy. These routers offer flexibility and make it easy for the employees to share the resources and files with the devices that are connected to the internet without using cable ports. These routers are easily available online so if you want to buy one, you can check the wireless router reviews to understand which router is best for you.
Following things must be considered for making the right purchase
- Know your standards: If you are going to buy a wireless router, the first thing that you should check is whether it is “b”, “n”, “g” because all these letters refer to “wireless communication standard” and your router is based on this. “b” was the wireless router of the first generation which is not available today. Then “g” router was introduced and the newest generation router is “n”. The main difference among these routers standard is their speed and range.
- Single-band or dual-band: There are two bands i.e., 2.4GHz and 5GHz in which wireless communication operates. Some “n” routers and the routers that are based on 802.11b and 802.11g standard use 2.4GHz band but the router that is based on 802.11n standard enable the wireless devices to use both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Single Band routers can only operate in 2.4GHz. Nowadays, there are two models, selectable and simultaneous available in wireless “n” dual-band routers and they are sometimes known as single radio and double radio. A selectable model can operate in either 2.4GHz or 5GHz mode at a time but simultaneously operate in both the modes at the same time. In 2.4GHz, congestion and interference are more as compared to 5GHz, therefore a 5GHz band gives better performance.
- Speed: The speed of the router varies with the performances of the standards like 802.11b gives a speed of 11Mbps, 802.11g routers deliver a speed of 54Mbps and the device that is based 802.11n gives the best and fastest speed of 300Mbps. Therefore, more the speed of the router, the faster you can access the data you require.
- Security: The wireless routers that are available nowadays can support both WEP security and WPA or WPA2 too. If you want to use a router for your small business, you can take some important security measures like creating multiple SSIDs, guest access, etc. It enables you to divide the network into two separate areas that are for the guests as well as for the trusted users.
- Single and dual WAN: Many small companies use single WAN port but in case your router fails your company may not be able to access the working of other employees and office. So, you can use dual WAN ports that ensure your reliable connectivity because it gives you a second link to connect with the internet. Thus, it is suitable for companies that are running critical applications.